Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Big Picture

I am going to start off with my favorite and most inexpensive crafty idea yet.  I have been wanting to get these pictures framed or put on canvas for a while now.  I came across a pin on Pinterest that I was very intrigued by. I am very excited to say that I followed the tutorial over at www.sugarbeecrafts.com and I am IN LOVE with the results.  So, here is my experience with The Big Picture.

Step 1:  I uploaded my beautiful pictures taken by Photos by Laura to Office Depot's copy center online.  You can also download your images to a flash drive and take them in.  Here's the really cool part.  Choose the Architect or Engineer print sizes.  Mine is a 24"x36", I believe Mandy on Sugarbeecrafts.com chose a 36x48.  If you choose the larger size, you have to send it off and can't just go pick it up at your local Office Depot.  That was the case with my Office Depot.  They didn't print anything larger than a 36".  Anyway, I printed two different pictures. The only drawback is that they only print out in black and white.  These prints cost me about $6 to print (for both).  The paper isn't flimsy like I thought it would be.  It's sturdy and my photos came out beautifully, not grainy at all.

Step 2: I went to Lowe's and bought one 1/2"x 4'x8' sheet of Styrofoam insulation that builders use.  It's right by the insulation.  If I do this again, I will probably buy the 3/4" instead of the 1/2" because I think it would be just a little bit more sturdy.  I had to cut this in two to get it into my SUV.  I'm very sure the men in the parking lot that I asked for a knife were very scared.....I found some scissors, though, so I didn't need the knife.  They can cut it for you inside and if I weren't so stubborn, I would have taken it back in to get cut.  This cost me $10.10.  I think the thicker one was only a dollar more.


Step 3:  I stopped by Michael's craft store and bought some black acrylic craft paint, a sponge brush, some Elmer's spray adhesive, and a sheet of duct tape.  If I would have thought about it, I would have also picked up some new blades for my utility knife.  I spent about $7 on these materials.


Step 4:  I drove home and immediately got started. I laid out the picture I was working on over the styrofoam board.  I positioned the edges exactly where I wanted them.  You might want to mark where you want the bottom and side edges, so you will know where to cut.  I eyeballed it.


Step 5:  Using a sharp utility knife and a straight edge, cut the styrofoam.  If you have access to one of those fancy shmancy styrofoam knife thingies, use it.  My cut edges came out pretty rough.



Step 6:  Lay your photo back on the styrofoam to make sure you have it like you want it.



Step 7:  There is a film on the styrofoam.  You want to gently pull all of the film off of the board.  It comes up fairly easy.  If you got the aluminum backed board, you might pull off the aluminum that shows over the edges.  You won't see the back, so it isn't necessary to pull all of the aluminum off, but you do want to pull all of the clear film off.


Step 8:  Paint the exposed edges and about an inch or two of the outside edges of the board.  If your photo has a lot of white space around those edges, you might want to be a little neater about it than I was.  I can see the black a little bit through the paper on my picture, but it isn't really noticeable.  Do not use spray paint....it will eat your styrofoam.

Step 9:  You want help with this step.  I suggest another adult.  I tried using my 10 year old as a helper and it was a little stressful.  Generously spray the area where the picture will lay with the spray adhesive.  Mandy tried modge podge and said that it was a huge mess and she ended up having to start over, so don't use that.  With your helper, line up the picture where you want it and gently put it on top of the board.  Smooth it out and Voila!  You have a BIG picture!  To hang, I used the duct tape and some wire across the back.  Make sure you use more than one layer of duct tape or it won't hold.

Now, go crazy with this!  I actually got two pictures and could get one more out of the styrofoam.  All in all, I spent about $9 per picture on this project.  And.....my husband loves it!  Here is the other one I completed:

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done Meridith! If you wanted to give your picture a 'hover effect' you can do the following:

    1) cut two pieces of your spare foam board about 1.5 inches tall and 6-8 inches shorter than the width of your picture.

    2) Attached these strips to the back of your picture board about 4-6 inches away from the top/bottom of the board and centered horizontally.

    The strips won't be seen because they are inset and your picture appears to be floating a half-inch off the wall. Using the 3/4 or 1 inch board will will add to the effect. And then you don't have to worry about the duct tape/picture wire because you can hang the picture by the top strip.

    We have a bridal portrait done this way, looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete